Inspired by the vision of Henry J. Moore, the concept of an International Peace Garden at the heart of this continent was nurtured into life at the International Gardeners’ Association Annual meeting in 1929. By 1932 vision had turned into plans that included location and first sketches of a garden that would tell the story of peace between two great countries.
The original constitution of the International Peace Garden Association is “to foster and give protection and support to the material expression of a world ideal concerned in the interest of International Peace and its benefits to humanity.”
“(This ideal) recognizes that wars between nations have been humanity’s greatest curse; that its glories are a myth; and its continuance an abhorrence to the Creator.”
The International Peace Garden was established as a living symbol and tribute to the historic fact that Canada and the United States of America have been at peace with each other for (now) more than 200 years.
The unveiling of a cairn, built of field stones gathered from nearby fields by students from both countries and situated right on the 49th parallel, to mark the creation of the International Peace Garden, took place on July 14th, 1932. An estimated crowd of 50,000 came to celebrate this momentous occasion.
The cairn reads;
TO GOD IN HIS GLORY,
we two nations dedicate this garden and pledge ourselves that as long as men shall live, we will not take up arms against one another.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President – Marshall McCullough – Fargo
Vice-President – Dorothy Dobbie – Winnipeg
Past President – Charlie Thomsen – Winnipeg
Donna Bye – Minot
Lisa Kudelka – Center
Dean Zaderaka – Minot
Dr. Tyrone Langager – Minot
Wes Welch – Park River
Jenny Steckler – Minot
Judy Saxby – Winnipeg
Cathy Jelsing– Rugby- North Dakota Government Appointment
Bernard Chrisp – Brandon
Ed Albrecht – Boissevain
Jerry Storie – Winnipeg
Richard Felstead – Brandon