What to See
 Support The Garden
 
Garden Information
 Guest Services
 Events Calendar
 Tour Groups
 Rentals and Rates
 Camping
 Garden Weddings  Garden History
 Garden in the News

 Garden Improvements
 Children's Page
 Maps & Directions
 


Highlights of the International Peace Garden

THE CAIRN

In June 1932, the Cairn of native stone was hurriedly constructed by stonemasons, William Paterson and his son, Edroy, of Rugby, North Dakota for the July 14, 1932 dedication.  Over 50,000 people gathered for the dedication of the International Peace Garden.  The Cairn is located directly on the United States and Canadian Border, flanked by each country's flagpole on the designated side.  The Cairn is built of aboriginal hammerheads collected by children in the surrounding areas.  In July 17, 1960, the globe of red granite with etched meridian lines, a gift from Great Northern Railway company of St. Paul, Minnesota, as a memorial to its founder, Canadian born James J. Hill, was added to the top of the Cairn.

On the face of the Cairn it states: “
To God in His Glory… We two nations dedicate this garden and pledge ourselves that as long as men shall live we will not take up arms against one another.''

 

 

FLORAL CLOCK

The large clock received from the Bulova Watch Company in 1966 was a duplicate of the famous Bulova Floral Clock at Berne, Switzerland. It was replaced the summer of 2005 with a new clock from St. Louis, Missouri. The Floral Clock, 18 feet in diameter, is a popular attraction at the International Peace Garden, and displays a unique floral design each year. The number of plants on the clock can range from 2,000 to 5,000, depending on the type of plant and design on the face of the clock.  Typically the first week in June, 150,000 flowers are planted at the Peace Garden, and best viewed full bloom from mid-July through August. However, the park has its own distinctive beauty all year around.

Interpretive Center

September 11, 2010 was the opening Dedication Day for the year-around Interpretive Center housing a restaurant, conservatory, retail store and moderate horticulture library. The impressive building is directly across from the tastefully landscaped Sunken Garden.The conservatory reveals 40 years of a 6,000 specimen collection of succulents and cacti. Africa is home to many of the over one thousand plants displayed in the 3,000 sq. foot conservatory. The collection is donated by Don Vitko of Minot, ND.  It is the first of its kind in North Dakota and only second in Manitoba. The “Border Walk Café” offers indoor dining as well as outdoor dining on the west patio. Both lend to a scenic view of the Peace Tower. The patio is surrounded by a variety of perennials, berry shrubs and various garden herbs. The modest library explores Prairie Horticulture. A freshly stocked retail store has something for everyone.

peace garden interpretive center conservatory gift shop cafe    

FORMAL GARDEN
 

Bell Tower  -  Click here for video clip  (6 MB)
Faintly ringing, throughout the Garden, every fifteen minutes and on the hour, are familiar strains of Westminster Chimes. The beautiful resonant tones echo from the bells of the Sifton Chime in the Veterans’ Memorial Bell Tower, erected in 1976.  As a memorial to their mother, Lady Sifton’s four sons donated the chimes to the First United Church of Brandon, Manitoba in 1932. When the church reorganized in 1969, the chimes were donated to the International Peace Garden.    Read more.

Cascade Panel
A narrow terraced channel of water flowing through the center, the 49th parallel, of the Formal Garden

Floral Canadian and American Flags
The stars and stripes of Old Glory and the majestic Maple Leaf can be
seen in the floral flag plots, the only two floral designs at the International Peace Garden which remain the same each year. 

Gazeboes
Adding charm to the Formal Garden Area, Gene Unrau of Boissevain, Manitoba built two identical adjacent gazeboes in 2000. 

Historic Interpretive Center
Presents a vivid display of the history of the International Peace Garden.  A special feature is a tribute to the young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps, who spent parts of six years here, from 1934 to 1941 helping with construction and planting of the International Peace Garden.

9/11 Memorial
In May of 2002, ten steel girders rescued from the former New York World Trade Center were brought to rest at the International Peace Garden.  This memorial was made to those who lost their lives in the tragic event of September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States.  A small cairn is also at the site made by stones gathered from children from the United States and Canada.  Read More

Nurses' Plot
Located on the south side of the upper terrace: plaque of Nightingale Pledge, traditionally recited by nursing graduates during Honors or Pinning.  Read More

Peace Chapel
The only building straddling the international border.  Etched in limestone tablets embossed with marine fossils are quotes of people of peace.  Enclosed in glass is a book with names of those who perished September 11, 2001 from the wreckage of the New York World Trade Center.  Read More

Messages of Peace from the International Peace Garden

Peace Poles
The seven "Peace Poles" located on the Upper Terrace were presented to the International Peace Garden in 1997 by the Japanese government.  Peace Poles are handcrafted obelisks erected the world over as an international symbol of peace.  The message "May Peace Prevail On Earth" is written in 28 different languages.  The Peace Pole Project was started by the World Peace Prayer Society, founded in 1955 by Japanese teacher, poet & philosopher Masahisa Goi.  Read More

Peace Tower
One hundred and twenty feet (37 meters) are the height of the four columns reaching into the spacious skies.  The tower's height represents the early immigrants' soaring ambitions.  Lifted into place by crane the concrete columns consist of 17 pre-cast sections each weighing 45,000 pounds, a total of 22 tons. Read More

Sunken Gardens
The Sunken Garden, located in the Formal Garden, displays a focal octagonal pond with two adjoining reflecting pools.  The North Dakota Homemakers and the Manitoba Women’s Institute support the two reflecting pools. The three have active water features.  Octagonal walkways and plantings of trees, shrubs and flowers repeatedly encompass the pond.   On the north and south walkways, two stone garden houses, financed by the North Dakota and U.S. National Homemakers’ Clubs, marks the Avenues of America and Canada.

THE GAME WARDEN MUSEUM

The museum will help educate the public of the historical and present wildlife law enforcement and natural resources conservation. The “Hall of Honors,“ is the first memorial of its kind dedicated to their brother and sister wildlife enforcement officers, who have lost their lives while serving to protect natural resources. The mission of the Game Warden Museum is to celebrate natural resource protection by educating and honoring the profession’s heroes. The museum houses a wide and interesting variety of animal pelts, mounted animals, and horns and antlers. Programs are available for visitors. The museum is a joint initiative of Fish and Wildlife Officers from Canada and the United States.

                        

Click Here to View More Sights in the Photo Gallery

 

For further information please contact us at:

Toll Free:
United States:
Canada:

(888) 432-6733
(701) 263-4390
(204) 534-2510

E-Mail: peaceweb@srt.com



Page Last Modified:  04/11/2014

©2007 - 2014 International Peace Garden