The International Peace Garden has gradually taken shape over the past 83 years.
Using long abandoned Civilian Conservation Corps barracks and Heritage Lodge, Dr. Merton Utgarrd organized the first International Music Camp, at the International Peace Garden in 1956, with 136 registered students attending. Sixty summers later, the International Music Camp brings as many as 500 students to its camps every week throughout the months of June and July.
The International Music Camp is a vital part of the International Peace Garden community, drawing thousands of music lovers to the Garden where the music – and the gardens – serve to inspire and encourage all visitors.
Also in the Fifties, the Canadian Legion Sports Camps were established to expand the scope of programming available at the International Peace Garden.
The International Peace Garden is a not-for-profit organization, and is registered as such on both sides of the 49th parallel. It is governed by a volunteer board with equal representation from North Dakota and Manitoba. Its membership is drawn from well beyond provincial and state boundaries and its support comes from organizations as diverse as the Masonic Lodge, Federated Women’s Institutes, and the North American Association of Game Wardens.
Full time and seasonal staff are drawn from both the United States and Canada, some who have served at the International Peace Garden for more than two decades. Seasonal staff are brought on incrementally starting in May, with summer student staff from the USA starting one month sooner than their Canadian counterparts.
The International Music Camp is a non-profit organization founded in 1956 and is located on the border of North Dakota and Manitoba in the International Peace Garden.
The International Sports Camp was established in 1962. The Royal Canadian Legion Sports Foundation had been sponsoring a national track and field program that offered a traveling clinic.
With human populations exploding, our planet is becoming crowded, polluted, more civilized, less wild. How can natural gifts be preserved for future generations? WHO’S PROTECTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS?
The Peace Chapel is sponsored by The members of the Order of the Eastern Star are dedicated women and men who sincerely reflect the spirit of fraternal love and the desire to work together for good.